Thursday, November 19, 2009

Sometimes

Sometimes.
Sometimes it almost makes sense.
Sometimes I think I can almost see it, grasp it, taste it, live in it at last.
Sometimes I don’t just hope it’s true, I know it’s true.
Sometimes, when I’m tired of myself, tired of everyone else, tired of the world, tired of our smallness and stupidity, tired of seeing greed and lies win out over honor and truth, tired of seeing death swallow life, tired of looking out over the huge ocean of what ought to be from the tiny, barren island of what is;
Sometimes, when I choke on the air of our world, and long for a better one;
Sometimes, then, it seems that a breeze from Beyond floats by, and I seem to catch just one sweet
breath
of the air of that heavenly country, and it seems I can see its outline, just for a moment.
Sometimes, in that moment, I dare to believe that one day, it will all come right, and that Amor Omnia Vincit, “Love Conquers All”, will stop being a truism and start being true.
Sometimes, I dare to believe that every knee shall indeed bow, every tongue confess the lordship of Love, and our wars, our hate, our self-seeking stupidity that looks only for our own good and does us only harm, all shall lie prostrate before Him, gasping in awe. I even dare, sometimes, to believe that the Dark One himself, whether he be the literal lord of Hell or the symbol of the hells within my own heart, even that Dark One shall in the end come to the Light, unable to resist the relentless love of God any more; and even he shall be healed, cleansed, made whole.
Sometimes I dare to believe that my blind eyes shall see, my lame and broken spirit shall walk tall and strong, my dead heart shall arise and dance, wheeling and leaping and roaring, bursting with the life everlasting.
Sometimes, I dare to believe that the dark, decaying, stony islands of my hate, my arrogance, my pettiness, my folly, shall all crumble at last, under the endless, awful, all-consuming pounding of the ocean, the ocean, the ocean of God’s love. And as the islands collapse, they will finally join in the wild, joyous dance of the waves.
Sometimes, I dare to believe that I can stand where the Creator stood on that first day; and looking down from on high, see the world as it really is – a dazzling chiaroscuro of flowing light and darkness, each showing by contrast the beauty of the other, until the Day comes when even darkness shall be filled with the splendor and holiness of light.
Sometimes I dare to look at the world and see what the Maker saw, and shout with Him “It is good! It is very very good!”
Sometimes I know it’s all right.
Sometimes.

© John M. Munzer

2 comments:

  1. You will surely see the maker's hand and face when you look into your child's eyes. Beutiful John.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful! I think you captured the Great Hope we have in Christ perfectly.

    ReplyDelete