Wednesday, November 25, 2009

A new father’s prayer

Father of all, now I am a father too, and I know enough to ask:
Is this how You felt, too?
On that sixth day, when you exulted in creation, roared in joy and triumph “It is good, it is very very good!!!” – did You dance with delight, too?
You who know all things – were You surprised, too?
You whose love is vaster than universes – did You, too, feel that still wasn’t enough to shower upon your children?
You who are invulnerable - did You feel afraid too?
If so, I’m not surprised that even the Source of all energy needed to rest on the seventh day. You, too, knew that it would be the last chance to rest, that as soon as your children awoke, You would need to watch, to guide, to help, to protect, to love, and to hope to be enough - forever.
So You’ll understand why I ask:
Father who never sleeps, help me to keep watch. Watch her when I cannot.
Father who knows the way, help me to guide her. When I go the wrong way myself, guide her the right way even so.
Father who is our only help, help me to help her. When I don’t have the wisdom or ability, help her for me.
Father who is our shield, help me to protect her. Protect her from all that I cannot shield her from.
Father who is Love, help me to love her. When I don’t know what would be the loving thing to do, help me all the more.
Father who is our hope, never let me lose hope for her.
Father who is all in all, let me be enough. When I am not, carry us.

© John M. Munzer – 11/25/09

3 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful, John! Made me get all choked up. This parenting thing is such an amazing gift & responsibility. I don't know about you, but makes me appreciate my parents all the more (and cut them some slack for the mistakes they made).

    ReplyDelete
  2. such a beautiful prayer John! Sums it all up.I am so proud to be your mom words fail. love you always! MOM

    ReplyDelete
  3. (This is Krista) You know... not much can make me cry anymore (that's a story for another day) but this came very, very close. Thank you for writing this in blog format and being willing to share!

    ReplyDelete