Friday, November 6, 2009

At Half-Mast

November 5th, 2009

I am at half-mast.
I am no hawk, colors flying, blazing defiance.
I am no dove, flag furled in shame.
I am at half-mast, in mourning for all that is broken:
For a world broken, in which two nations whose religions preach peace are at war. A world broken, where the only way we know to try and stop violence is by violence.
For a mind broken by its inability to contain these dichotomies. A man who became so broken that he killed those he was supposed to help and heal.
For the lives, families, friendships, trust, and security broken by his actions.
I am at half-mast, hoping against hope that healing may come to our brokenness.

© John M. Munzer

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blogging community John!

    I'm liking this one. I just read Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson. It's about his journey to build secular schools in the arabic world. He believes education (even just to 5th grade) is the key to eliminating terrorism. It's an excellent book about fighting violence with peace. I think you'd like it, gave me a lot of hope about our world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Amy. Here's hoping Mr. Mortenson succeeds.

    ReplyDelete